Grinding Nibs Using a Blender
for Healthy Chocolate Recipes
Grinding nibs with a blender can heat the nibs up so we have worked out a way to avoid that. It's not the easiest task but it is workable.
A better and faster way to use your blender if you have an Oster is to use the Oster 4 oz Mini Jar. You can see that procedure by going to the link below.
Easy Grind Nibs - Using the Oster Mini Jar
Amount of Nibs to Grind
This example shows amounts. It's important to note that you begin with 50% nibs to 50% powders and then add the rest of the powder later when doing the final steps.
- Cacao Nibs 6 Tbsp
- Cacao Powder 3 Tbsp
- Mesquite Powder 3 Tbsp
Steps for Grinding Nibs Using a Blender
- Ensure blender and blades are thoroughly dry.
- Important - Put dry ingredients in the blender first and then add the nibs last.
- Blend about 1 minute at slowest speed.
- Stop blender and stir the mixture around the blades to ensure the powders do not pack.
- Scrape the sides and stir to mix well.
- Blend again for about 1 minute at slowest speed.
- Stop blender and empty contents into a measuring cup or similar container where you can pour back into the blender later.
- Ensure you get all the mixture around the blender blades into the container. It has a tendency to pack there.
- Stir the mixture in the container with a spatula until well mixed.
- Put mixture back in blender and blend again.
- The mixture will cake up around the blades so stop blender, scrape around blades and sides, and mix lightly with spatula.
- Blend again stopping and scraping around blades and sides, etc., two more times.
The mixture will turn a rich dark brown color, well blended (not dark and light). This indicates the nibs are pretty well broken down and mixed well. This takes a while using this method.
Step Four - Optional
- Repeat Steps Two and Three as many times as needed to reach your preferred smoothess and rich chocolate taste.
Ready to Use or Store for Later
When you've completed all the steps, put the mixture into another container so your blender is ready for the liquid steps.
You have a choice at this point. You can do the above process and just store the mixture in the refrigerator to be used later or do the final steps now.
For the final steps, Just use the link below and you'll be there.
Blending Nibs Ingredients - Final Steps
Please feel free to email me if you have questions or comments. I am always happy to respond.
Go to Cacao Nibs Recipe from Grinding Nibs