Foods High in Antioxidants
Why You Need Them!
Foods high in antioxidants are needed to help you balance the bad guys in your body. If there's a war going on and you are outnumbered, you have to be smarter or you will lose.
Understanding the roll antioxidants play in the body will help you help your body win the war it has to contend with everyday. Inflamation is a sign that the bad guys are winning and more antioxidants are needed.
This is not a lesson in chemistry and I will avoid the use of any chemical terms. If you read this and are still interested in the more technical side of antioxidants, I'll list some references at the end of this article.
You may want to read Phytonutrients, what are they? where I give very interesting information about phytonutrients as antioxidants. You'll find out more on how they work and how critical these antioxidant nutrients really are but in simple terms.
Antioxidants Versus Free Radicals
- Free radicals are the bad guys because they steal from the cells.
- Antioxidants are the good guys because they protect the cells.
- Free radicals are missing parts and steal to replace their missing parts.
- Antioxidants provide their own parts for the free radicals so the cells are left in tact.
- If free radicals outnumber the antioxidants, the body breaks down.
- If the antioxidants match or outnumber the free radicals, the body remains in tact.
It's really amazing to see how much more energy you have when you reduce free radicals which can drag you down with inflamation.
Eating enough foods high in antioxidants can keep those free radicals under control and allow energy to be put to good use in the body.
- You feel better.
- You have more energy
- And... you get more done.
An informative article on this is "Antioxidants Help Prevent Age-Related Loss of Energy" by Donald J. Reed, Ph.D of the Linus Pauling Institute
What Increases the Need for Antioxidants?
The following is a list of elements that can increase free radicals in the body.
- Over exposure to sun.
- Synthetic chemicals in laundry products.
- Synthetic chemicals in household cleaning products.
- Disolved toxic gases in tap water that are released when used.
- Synthetic chemicals in indoor building materials that are released as toxic gas over time.
- Synthetic chemicals in our clothing that work through the skin when worn.
- Pesticides and synthetic chemicals in our foods.
- Manufacturing toxic chemicals released into the air we breathe.
- Toxic emissions from gas or diesel driven vehicles released into our air.
- Stress from the above as well as emotional impacts.
We can avoid the negative effects by reducing the negative elements as much as possible. And... we can increase our antioxidants.
Foods High in Antioxidants
The Sunfood Raw Organic Cacao Powder is the most potent antioxidant food I've come across. You might want to check out our healthy chocolate ingredients page and see what benefits we've experienced.
Even the highly processed bakers chocolate is quite high in antioxidants... then come fruits.
Top 10 Fruits
- Goji Berries
- Acai Berries
- Granny Smith Apples
There are ORAC values placed on foods after having been tested to see how well the particular foods nulify the bad guys. You can read more about these ORAC Values pertaining to fruits and superfoods and how to evaluate the ORAC lists when you run into them on the Internet. There's a lot of confusing information that I provide that can be helpful.
- The Antioxidant Miracle by Lester Packer and Carol Colman
- The Antioxidants by Richard A. Passwater
- Antioxidants Help Prevent Age-Related Loss of Energy - http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/sp-su97/anti.html
Please feel free to email me if you have questions or comments. I am always happy to respond.
Go to Facts About Chocolate from Foods High in Antioxidants
Go to the Natural Healthy Eating Home Page from Foods High In Antioxidants